STUDENT JOB POSTING
Student Services is dedicated to ensuring all students have the opportunity for an enriching and successful experience at CBU. Recognizing the challenges in the transition from high school to university, Student Services is seeking ambassadors to provide support services to incoming students as required.
Functions & Responsibilities
· Provide support to incoming students through CBU Connect.
· Participate in Orientation Week activities under the direction of the CBU Orientation Committee.
· Support ongoing programming and events of CBU Student Services, Recruitment and Alumni.
· Friday, September 7, 2012 (must be available for training)
The ambassador term runs from May 1, 2012 to April 30, 2013.
Commitment to the position will be more intense during the September and January academic start times. However, there will be times throughout the year that ambassadors will be called on for special events and requested to make contact with students.
· Ambassadors will be provided a contact list of incoming students prior to September classes. Incoming students will be sent a letter, coordinated through Student Services, to introduce the ambassador to new students as a contact point for Orientation.
· During Orientation periods (September and January) students will be expected to participate in and lead a variety of activities. Staffing the Student Oriented Solutions will also be required for the first two weeks of classes at various times. Expected time commitments for those weeks will be approximately 10-20 hours per week.
· At various times throughout the year ambassadors will be called on to support recruitment and alumni activities at CBU and in the local community. The main activities will be special events, high school visits, and campus tours.
· A minimum of one academic year at CBU.
· A strong academic background.
· A demonstrated commitment to the personal growth and development of both self and others.
· Excellent communication skills, demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills.
· Passion for CBU, your program of study, and helping others.
· Interpersonal communication skills
· Leadership training and professional development
· Job-related skills, such as critical thinking and working with others
· Intercultural and social awareness
· Networking with CBU Alumni
· Stipend provided for participation in contacting new students
· Hourly rate between $12.65 - $13.65 (depending on year of study)
· Certificate of achievement and invitation to year end banquet for Student Ambassadors
In addition, ambassadors will have opportunities to build relationships with other ambassadors and with Student Services personnel.
Qualified candidates should submit:
- a letter of application identifying his/her education and experience as it relates to this position;
- a resume; and
- complete contact information of two references – one academic and one personal
Human Resources Department
Cape Breton University
PO Box 5300, 1250 Grand Lake Rd.
Sydney, NS B1P 6L2
Tel: (902) 563-1158
Fax: (902) 563-1458
Applications must be received by 4:00 p.m. March 23, 2012.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.